10 Steps to Make Your Life More Delicious

back


10 Steps to Make Your Life More Delicious



1. Cooking with Quinoa

Instead of cooking your quinoa in water, this time try cooking it in broth, vegetable or chicken work well! This is a quick tip to make any quinoa dish more flavourful!

2. Coffee Cubes

Iced coffee is delicious, but not when the ice cubes start to melt and dilute the flavour. To fix this, the next time you have some coffee left in the pot, pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze some coffee ice cubes to use the next time you make yourself an iced coffee! Consider using this technique for iced tea as well.

3. Using Lemons

I don't know why no one told me this when I moved into my first home, but the best fix for a smelly fridge is to simply put a bowl of cut lemons in there.  

4. Perfect French Fries at Home

The hardest part about baking french fries at home is getting that perfect crisp on the outside without access to a deep fryer. While it seems counter-intuitive to add more liquid to achieve this, I have found a surprising solution - white vinegar. Next time you're baking fries, add a couple tbsps of white vinegar to them (I usually coat my french fries in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper before this). I will even cook them in a cake pan instead of a cookie sheet to prevent the vinegar from spreading away from the fries. But don't worry, there will be no taste of vinegar once they are baked!


5. Coconut Nails

I will do anything to salvage my dry nail beds - and for this reason I have tried a lot of fixes - but the easiest, and least expensive method I have found is to rub a little bit of coconut oil into the cuticles everyday. Olive oil also works well if you have that in your cupboards instead! I keep a small dish of the coconut oil on my bathroom counter with a q-tip in it so I never forget.

6. Jazzed Up Eggs

Cooking scrambled eggs for breakfast is an easy, go-to for most people. Whether it's scrambled eggs on toast, scrambled eggs in a breakfast burrito or just plain scrambled eggs, kicking this staple up a notch is simple and only takes a few extra seconds! All you have to do is, when you're whipping eggs before pouring them into the frying pan, add a flavourful sauce or condiment to the mixture! (Don't forget to have already stirred in some milk if you want creamy, fluffy scrambled eggs and a little salt and pepper!) Some options I like to rotate between:

hot dijon mustard
arrabbiata sauce
worcestershire sauce
horseradish

To be honest though, I add horseradish to my eggs every time regardless of what else is going in them.

7. The Perfect Beer Lime

For a lot of people, I know cutting a lime that slides easily into the top of your Corona is no simple task. Luckily, there is a trick to this. First cut the top and bottom off your lime so that it can stand on end, being careful not to sacrifice too much of the lime. With the lime standing on end, then cut your lime into 6 equal slices, once across the middle, then still holding it together twice on opposite diagonals. Easy! Now enjoy your zesty Corona without all the mess.

8. Grilled Pineapple

Pineapple is sweet the second you cut into it... but it gets better! An easy desert for a summer BBQ is to cut your pineapple into 1/2" rounds, sprinkle each with some cinnamon and grill on the BBQ, 7 minutes on one side and 7 minutes on the other.


9. Impress with Water

Something that I always did for myself, simply because it's tasty and refreshing, I eventually found was very exciting for anyone I had over. To do this, I always keep my water in a glass carafe or pitcher and add various simple flavour enhancers to it. My favourite is cucumber & mint but have also tried adding berries, lemon, grapefruit, and ginger.

10. Using a Knife

Living in a shared dorm, I was able to witness that some people genuinely have no idea how to use a knife. Therefore, if this is you, use the following technique so that you can chop your veggies quickly and evenly: When using a straight edge or chef's knife, start with the tip of the knife on you cutting board, then press down until the rest of the knife touches the cutting board and finally slide the knife slightly forward, and repeat as you move whatever you are cutting to the right (if you are right handed) until you have chopped the entire item. Make sure to hold onto what you are cutting with your fingers in a "claw-like" grip so that as you near the end of your chopping, the top of your fingernails are parallel to the knife blade. Some good food items to practice this on are cucumbers, zucchini or large carrots!